Tuesday, June 05, 2007

this has no period

I hadn't seen her for years; we met during the campaign. It was a failed event or at least to me it was.

She ended up marrying a common cohort; they had a child and named him after me; or at least partly. They told me when they were searching for names they couldn't remember a Tim that they did like and that was added to the fact that I was there whenever anyone called.

What's odd is that I can't remember being happy during that time. And odder still is that folks wanted to be on the same team as me. I lost a measure of unharmful innocence back then and gained a measure of disdain.

We over came some heavy odds but when it was down to us and the other guy, the other guy won. Others moved on and mostly higher, I slipped back into my familiar shadows.

I have played in the big leagues.

It was good to see her face light up when she saw me; I sometimes forget the core of me is still liked by some. During those days folks saw me unvarnished and raw; today there seems to be a lot of social packaging.

No comments: