Saturday, June 07, 2008

But I did get a kiss on the cheek as I left

I laughed a little as I took a step back from the scene. It wasn’t a physical step because I still stayed in my stool.

It was much like a lot of Fridays after work, I walked down the street to let her serve me nice size quantities of mixed drinks while we talk about what’s going on. Things were working out nicely because a seat next to me cleared out just as her shift was ending. I was trying to play it cool; trying to make it look like I don’t get a little charge out of the fact that she gives me all her attention once she comes to my side of the bar. I was pretending I didn’t notice the empty chair and she pulled it out slightly.

After a quick moment I turned to speak to her but she wasn’t there; there was a slight “What the fuck?” moment. I quickly looked around and noticed her three seats over talking to someone younger and possibly better looking than me. And that’s when I evaluated the situation and smiled. I had felt a twinge of jealousy. I felt what it’s like to be all those other regulars who get mostly forgotten when she sits next to me; and I can tell you I would much rather be me.

No comments: