Saturday, May 02, 2009

Fishbone

Work and complaints, mostly.

So, no posts.

There are parts of my multi-level roof that chronically leak.
roof01
I think most of the reason is because rolled roofing was installed on a completely flat roof. I could have changed the roofing or I could have changed the roof


roof02
I chose to change the roof.

You might notice that I sanded down the sharp edges. On top of the plywood, 30lb tar paper was installed and then I torched down rolled roofing; but rolled roofing only has a life span of 5 or so years so I'll top the rolled roofing with regular asphalt shingles which might get me twenty years.

You might be thinking: "That pitch is too low for shingles," and that is what most people say but the company that makes the shingles say that you can install them on a pitch of 2" per 1 foot (2/12 pitch). You just have to double up the tar paper and use rolled roofing in area prone to ice dams. You might be thinking but that isn't what you did and you would be correct but the directions say to use 15lb tar paper and they cold apply the rolled roofing. I used heavier tar paper and I covered the whole roof in rolled roofing, not just the ice dam areas, so I should be good.

raccoon01
And I guess I disturbed one of my tenants.

No comments: