Friday, July 18, 2008

So there I was...

So there I was standing at the edge of my deck, still avoiding cooking that Perdue chicken that I bought six days ago, eating a Turkey sandwich containing the last of the deli meat which I bought on the same day as the chicken. The cat was by my side, trying to get me to give him a piece.

It was a simple sandwich: iceberg lettuce, Hellman's mayonnaise, Sara Lee smoked turkey breast, salt and pepper, all on a piece of baguette.

It was good.

Things were good. All of my worries could wait until the next day.

But then I turned around and looked up at the outside stairway that leads to the roof of the second floor.

I don't know what made me look, but there were a few raccoons just lounging about much like some house bound kids who are dealing with the last hours of some 90 degree day the best they could. Kids who have been warned by their mother to "Not leave the steps."

They saw me looking and didn't seem to care. They looked at me much like I've looked at my landlord below. Yeah, it was my house but they live here too - was the vibe I got.

I went inside to get my camera and when I returned only one was still on the steps and he sauntered up to to the rest of his family. So, I went back inside to come out on the first floor roof, to walk up the very steps they were on.

I found the crew hanging out by the back door to the unused third floor. They seemed a little concerned at first but then they seemed to get accustomed to me, quicker than I would have liked. But then they probably kind of know me because I'm no stranger to the roof.

coon03

coon01

coon02


coon04

No comments: