Monday, June 14, 2010

hi

It took me about three weeks to read Skeletons On The Zahara by Dean King, which is pretty quick for me because I usually will only read a chapter or two at a time right before I drift off to sleep.

(That's the kind of updates you've been missing.)

I got a Certificate of Commendation from the United States Marine Corps. It reads, "Outstanding and selfless support in the planning and execution of Marine Week Boston 2010..."

A Lt. Col. came by my place of employment and handed it to me along with a special and specific coin commemorating Marine Week Boston 2010. It was a day that I was busy doing my own work and busy doing the work of someone else as well, so I didn't get to chat much with the Lt. Col. but a co-worker got a similar commendation so he entertained the Marine.

I took it by the other bar that some of the old regulars hang out at because for a couple weeks whenever they would ask what I was up to I would mention Marine Week.

They were impressed.

I was kind of impressed to.

I was just doing my job, the event did come during the busy season which was annoying but we managed. It was done and done and then we moved on and then the Lt. Col. walked into my office a month plus a week later. It was a surprise.

...

Working for free is getting to me.

I feel somewhat disrespected and it's been hard to shake. I think that if you're working for free that you should get treated better.

Unless you're a slave and then it sucks to be you.

...

I had just finished reading Isle of Passion by Laura Restrepo before I picked up Skeletons on the Zahara. I remember looking at all the unread titles I have sitting about, trying to decide on what to start next.

I'm wondering what to read next.

Nothing tickles my fancy.

I'll probably end up buying something new.

I read a little of Betting on the Muse by Charles Bukowski because I'm still trying to get him but I don't. Maybe because I've heard stories like his in person all my life. I like his writing style but I think his subject holds no interest for me.

I think that I'll read Ham on Rye and if that doesn't do it for me than I will move on.

No comments: