Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hand Job Security

Often there are things only I know or things only that I can do and my co-workers will suggest that I keep those secrets for job security but I think the Department runs better if more people know more things so I always share my knowledge.

I'll teach you everything I know to date because I know that I'm going to learn something new tomorrow.

...

She asked me to design the letter. She typed the text. After I was finished with Thank You letter that was going to be from her son, the Candidate, she asked my opinion. I told her, "It seems needy." So, she had me change some things. I would have changed a lot more but then it would have been my letter and I didn't feel like lending my voice.

...

The Owner said that when she spoke to the printer, the boss said that she just needed my application file. The Owner inquired as to which application was preferred and it was stated that any application would do.

I had my doubts. I can produce a file in the format of the most common applications. I purchased $1200 worth of Adobe products to be able to do such but I like using CorelDRAW. I've been using it for over a dozen years.

I doubted but I sent my Corel file anyway. I got an email back that the printer couldn't open it.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

She also wanted me to tell her what fonts I used in the design. I've been around long enough to know that unless all your fonts are super standard, you have to convert your text to curves before it leaves your computer.

I doubted her skills.

...

I apologize that this post didn't live up to the title.

No comments: