Tuesday, March 12, 2019

They say change is good but that is a lie

I relocated my desk. I had been in the same area, within 18', since I walked in the door over twenty years ago. There had been some changes, like from old furniture to new, and from this cube to the cube right next to it but this latest move was to a new room without cubes.

Everything was packed up and moved. I should have purged before the move but all of my co-workers were already in the new location, so I just took everything.

By law, I am supposed to keep my records for at least seven years. I had stuff over 17.

I am sure I tossed out "one of's" - plans that only I had a copy of but they hadn't been used for years and years and anyone looking for them probably wouldn't even realize to ask me for them. They will be cardboard boxes soon.

I couldn't help but think of all of the man hours that it took me to create all that paper trash. I literally threw part of my life away.

I probably moved about 20 boxes. I filed away 8 and then started sorting through the rest. I am down to five. Things of value, that I most likely will rarely ever need.

For the past couple of days, I have been filling the nearby trash buckets and recycle bins with my past effort and then I do what I get paid for. 

I answer the phone with my left hand, now.  

No comments: