Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Would Rather Be a Sucker Than a Person That Never Trusts.

All I wanted was a Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissan'wich Value Meal but I was going to settle for something else. I chose a McDonalds at the bus station because the parking was the easiest.

I noticed she was walking a path that would intercept me. She was young and distressed and it looked like a crash victim after whatever high she had been on the night before; she started her plea with, "Please, I'm not a bum."

She said that she was twelve dollars short of a bus ticket home and that if I would give her the twelve that she would mail me a twenty. She looked genuinely dispirit. As she was telling her story, she was holding a sizable amount of bills, neatly folded in half in her right hand.

I pulled what I had from my pocket; it was three singles and a twenty which was what was left from $110 from the night before at the bar. I actually thought about giving her the twenty and asking for change and then laughed to myself that I would even think of such a thing.

I handed over my chance at an Egg McMuffin Value Meal and consoled myself that three bucks would at least get me a coffee. She asked if I had a business card, I did but it was in the car, across the street and a quarter way down the block.

I told her not to worry about it; she thanked me at least three times as she walked away.

As I thought about where the closest ATM was that wouldn't charge me a fee, I thought that I should have had her walk with me to the car so that I could get a business card. It would have been interesting to see if she followed through or not. I wouldn't have had her mail money but maybe a thank you note, or maybe an email, if she really wanted to do something.

I also thought that I should have walked her to the ticket window and paid the difference for the bus ticket; but then I thought that I would rather be a sucker than a person that never trusts.

No comments: