Saturday, September 18, 2010

I wonder if I could have guess correctly sober

I had more important things that I could have been doing but I hadn't been around for awhile so I dropped by after work and had a few and maybe a few extras. I left before 9PM. I know this because Starbucks was still open and my favorite barista was working.

She saw me, then looked away and smiled like she most always does. The customer in front of me was having trouble placing his order using English so he switched over to Spanish.

I could make out that in addition to what he ordered he also wanted water. I guessed that she explained that they had bottled water and noticed that she made a slight gesture to the display case in front of me. I waited a brief moment before I reached out a bottle of water and proffered it.

She looked at me and asked if I spoke Spanish in Spanish.

"Pequeño," I replied which was my guess at the word small.

I wonder if I could have guessed correctly sober.

No comments: