Sunday, September 12, 2010

I'm a sucker

I've been helping out but I have conditions. Basically, I tell them that I want all the elements and that I don't want to have to go looking for stuff. I think that my conditions are reasonable.

A lot of what they ask me to do involves photographs.

It seems that very few of them can take a photo and when they do get a good shot, it's only at a resolution that's fit for the internet and not for print media. When this first happened, I told them what I need for print but still rarely do I get what I want.

Not all pictures are worth a thousand words.

After, I climbed down from the roof, I was emptying my pockets and pulled out from my back pocket a carpenter's pencil. I don't use carpenter's pencils too often because the line they draw is often thicker than I like. The line can be close to 1/8 inch and frequently I prefer something more precise but, with roofing, a regular No. 2 just can't handle the ruinous nature of stone encrusted roofing material.

As I tossed it onto the dresser, I thought, "That tells a story."



The candidate is not yet thirty years old and most of the people helping him are as young or younger. I figured that they would all have the ability to take all sorts of photos but it appears that they are all too self-centered to take pictures of things other than what they are going to post to their own Facebook page.

It drives me nuts.

Learn to take a freak'n photo.

I've stated out loud to anyone that would listen that everyone should be taking photos of everything. We don't have to use everything but when we do need something, it's unfathomable to not have anything.

I was asked on more than one occasion to take a head from one photo and stick it onto the person's body in a different photo.

"How about you get me decent photos?"

I only swapped heads once. Fuckers.

"His eyes are kinda closed in this one. Can you open them up?"

"No."

I complained about it later to the friend that got me involved.

So they wanted me to spend about two hours digitally altering that photo when whoever was taking it could have merely asked, "Wait, could I take just one more?" They had me waiting most of the day for this picture and then they want to waste more of my time by having me drawing in eyes? Do you know the skill level involved in drawing new eyes onto someone? It's more skill than I have. Not with a deadline for tomorrow.

I used the photo unaltered except for cropping and color correction and when they saw the final product they said, "Oh, you got the eyes open" which made me even more furious.

About two weeks ago, after a lot of frustration in trying to get material from the campaign when they kept me waiting and then still didn't give me everything I needed. My friend called me and said she wouldn't have everything until after 11PM. I had been waiting since 10AM.

"I don't think I can work for you folks anymore," I calmly stated.

"I know," she replied

The next day I walked in and we started talking about the jobs I knew weren't completed and then she started talking about new jobs.

"I'm only committed to the senior piece, the shadow piece and possibly the City Hall piece."

"Oh."

"Yeah, remember? I quit."

"When was that?"

"When I was on the phone with you last night."

"You said that, "You think"-."

"Well, today I'm pretty sure. Actually, I'm positive."

But before I left I had some on the new jobs started because I'm a sucker.

...

If you're wonder what that 100% is about on the pencil, it refers to the wood used in making the pencil. FSC is the Forest Stewardship Council. I had to google it.

No comments: