Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I'm not saying that I know anything but...

It could have been the shot of Patrón or maybe it was the previous six pints of Bud Light but I don't think alcohol levels had anything to do with it when she asked me what I thought.

Her first mistake was pestering me with the question more than thrice.

Another mistake was thinking I could run an eight and a half inch by eleven inch ad in the same format as a three and one quarter inch by 2 inch ad.

"Of course I have to change it….And to tell you the truth, I'm not digging that font."

I was surprised she knew that fonts don't travel with the document by default.

"You're not digging the font?"

"Nope. It's hard to read."

It was hard to read at 18pt, there was no way it was going to work shrunk down.

"It's hard to read?"

I looked at it again right in front of her and just for a moment.

"Yup" I said as I looked up from the page. "It's hard to read." As if to say, I'm not just making this shit up, I saw the ad and it’s hard to read.


Rule #1 in advertising is that the ad has to catch your eye.

Rule #2 in advertising is that your message has to be conveyed. And in print advertising that most likely means that the words have to be readable.

It's like yelling "Hey." If you don't follow up your 'hey' with something else, folks will look away and now they will be pissed that you disturbed them for no reason.

(Facts and honestly are further down the list.)

...

i voted today

No comments: