Wednesday, December 26, 2007

so from the 17th

So, the plan was to help out an elderly neighbor a few doors up from me; I was merely going to run the snowthrower over her sidewalk. The first hiccup in the plan was a known problem and that problem was that she lives six houses up from me. I had enough time and I had enough gasoline so I ran the machine from my house to hers. When I got to her house, her neighbor was shoveling him sidewalk, so I did his and then I crossed the street to help out a guy I wave to once in awhile when he's walking his dogs. While I was helping out that guy, someone asked if I would do the driveway for an elder lady in the next house over.

The snow had changed to rain by the time I had crossed to the other side of the street and I was soaked through in a lot of places. I really just wanted to get back home. I wasn't too joyful doing the old lady's drive. She called to me from her window to thank me and I said "No" when she asked if she could pay me. When I was just about done, she came out and shoved something in my gloved hand. I refused again but she insisted and I shoved whatever it was in pocket.

When I got back home I had done fourteen houses and three driveways. The dog walker guy gave me some gasoline and what that elder lady ended up giving me was a fifty dollar bill.

...

I really don't want to be in work today.

...

It's dying now; the arrangement of plants that someone had sent him. It must have cost a bit of dough. I watered it while he was out; but now he's back. He can water his own damn plant.

...

"Was it a cold walk in?" He asked from his desk as I walked by.

"Yeah, a little bit."

"I was going to give you a ride in but I was falling asleep at the wheel. I've been working all night."

Unfortunately, he doesn't know how much of an asshole that same exchange makes him appear.

...

He complains if you do and he complains if you don't.

...

"If it's not at the end of your elbows, you do not give a shit."

No comments: