Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Next

I got to work today and was told it was one of those days when not everyone had to come in; only the essential workers needed to come in. I'm important but my job can certainly function one full business day without me.

(I stayed anyway)

...

It's kind of cool; the second version of the introduction movie. I've watched it loop through a few times trying to see what I would change. There isn't much, other than some slight timing changes.

It's about telling a story.

It's about getting the feel right.

Scene one, scene two.

Too much? Too quick? Too slow? Too subtle? Too vague?


Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

There is nothing wrong with the classic fade in or fade out, if it tells your story.

Bells and whistles. Like church bells or that annoying Salvation Army noise maker outside of Macy's. Like a steaming kettle or a soothing tune?

Don't shout when you should whisper. Don't whisper when you should shout.

Don't treat your audience like they are stupid.

I tend to over explain but if I'm on my game, I'll then edit it down.

The great thing about subtlety is that people will write their own parts which equals an instant personalized story. The bad thing about subtlety is that if you don't get the mood right people might fill the story in with something you don't want.



I don't think it's something that I would have chosen. It's too white. It's too much pretend. It's a too small part of the story. But that's marketing for ya. I listened to the client.


I was showing her some of the photos I had of the neighborhood, people jogging, windsurfing, sitting. There was one photo that I really liked: a young couple with friends just lazily walking along the beach, when it displayed in the browser I saved her the trouble and said "This one's probably too ethnic." She just sat quiet as I displayed the next photo.

No comments: