Thursday, January 03, 2008

wards of re

So, I kind of thought that there might be more posts with me being on vacation and all. ‘And all’ is code for me sitting around the house.

New Year’s Eve, at about nine thirty at night, someone tried to knock my front door down, or at least that’s what it sounded like. It was such a noise as I would imagine that a bill collector would make after he hasn’t been paid for six months and if that bill collector was collecting for the mob.

None of my debts were past due so I turned on the hallway and porch lights and then pushed aside the vinyl mini blinds. I opened the door because what a saw was a little old lady and not a leg breaker. She came bearing gifts or rather gift. It was a bottle of Prosecco.

She told me that the bottle of sparkling wine was for that time I did her sidewalk which was actually that time I did everyone’s side walk. She told me she was in the hospital at the time visiting her daughter who was injured falling from a twenty two foot deck. She also told me a few of her other woes in between of telling me what an uncommon feat I had done.

I opened the bottle two hours later, getting a slight jump on the New Year and I may have even smiled a little.

No comments: