Saturday, May 10, 2008

fight night

I don’t get out much but last night I was out. It was fight night. We bought seat but never sat; we just hovered by one of the bars about one hundred feet from one of the neutral corners.

After the last bout someone who latched onto our group started chatting up the girlfriend of one of the guys in our group. I felt the guy was a creep when I first noticed him, milling about. It wasn’t much of a surprise to see him trying to make his move; he had been testing the waters all night long with anyone young, pretty and female.

I had only just met her that night and I only know her boyfriend as a familiar face. Her boyfriend was off saying his goodbyes to another group of familiars. I was left with her and my friend who invited me; we were waiting for our group to reform.

I couldn’t hear what the guy was saying but I felt he was standing too close her; I kept watching for any signs of potential danger. She was being polite to a person she didn’t really want to talk to, is the impression I was getting but she never made any move to distance herself from the guy. It was a bit frustrating watching it; I wanted it to stop but I had no reason to step in.

I thought my chance had come when he reached out and touch her arm but somehow she moved her arm away without moving away which caused the touch to be ever so brief. She’s done this before, is the thought I had. She didn’t need my help.

After the creepy guy left we were talking about what had just happened.

“We almost had another fight when that guy touched you,” I said.

“He touched you?!” my friend asked.

“Just a little on the arm,” I said because I felt she didn’t want to make a big deal of it.

“I was here the whole time and I didn’t see him touch you.”

“Yeah, it was brief. She took care of it.”

When her boyfriend returned, we were still talking about it. He was saying that he was watching the whole thing from across the room.

“And when he reached for me, Tim said “Get your fucking hands off her, bitch or I’ll fuck you up””

I just smiled a little because I didn’t actual voice that sentence but something quite similar was said in my head.

No comments: