Saturday, May 24, 2008

I'm still around I just ain't got much to say

I had turned to my left, just like I always do, I was just looking around, just like I always do instead of staring blankly at my beer just like the guy at the other end of the bar does. I saw Meg and smiled. I smiled large but then I tried to tone it down a bit because my present bartender was still tending to my bar needs.

Meg had sent me a MySpace message which had gone unread because my work place doesn’t see the value in letting their employees have access to MySpace. “I see you got my message,” Meg said after she gave me a hug. I didn’t want to explain to her that the reason I was there was because I was really just a part time drunk. Her news was that she was starting a new job that very night at a place up the street.

We caught up a little but she had to run. I think my present bartender got a little jealous, which is odd because the only reason I was there was because at lunch she asked me to come back.

My route walking to the public transportation station from the bar takes me by both Godiva and Meg’s new place of work so I picked up a mid-size box of chocolates and left them with the hostess. “A friend of mine, Megan, is starting her first day of work tonight, and I was hoping you could give these to her, I said. Without a word she turned to check a list and tuned back and said that she would.


I remember using the word ain't in a conversation and someone felt the need to correct my English. I think instead of explaining it was part of my story telling style, I just rolled my eyes.

No comments: