Monday, September 01, 2008

My feet smell like fire

I had the turtle in the front yard as I was moving the mums that I had planted earlier. I didn't like the layout so the layout had to change. I placed the turtle in the sun, I figured he's never really been out much and I know that the turtles in the wild like to sun themselves.

He mostly just sat there, moving a little towards the neighbors yard. I would check on him after awhile and then awhile later once I noticed he going too far, if at all.

I took the hose out and started watering all the new additions to the yard, and then I watered the plants that have been around for years, and then I checked on the turtle.

I check where I last saw him and then I check the spot he could have gotten to since last I checked on him, and then I checked the neighbors yard and that's when I started to worry a little. The last thing I wanted to do was to put up "lost turtle" signs.

"Last seen in my front yard. If found please call 1-800-I'm-a-loser."

I found him at the edge of the two foot wall that drops off to the sidewalk.

His kept in a container about the size of a large shoebox which I didn't think was big enough for him so I went to find a tank for him. On the way, while I was waiting at a red light I noticed that the ground was smoldering next to a traffic light control box. It was smoking pretty good and I wondered why nobody was doing anything, so when I light changed I pulled over to stomp out whatever was smoking.

There was a ring of dark mulch with a cigarette at the perimeter. I cursed the careless smoker and then kicked at the ring of smoke. Now I've done this before, I've put out three or four other smoldering piles on mulch caused by careless smokers so I did what has worked for me in the past and kicked the mulch around. Only this time, it just spread the smoldering embers to a large circle. Then I curse myself. It's been rather dry around here and I should have known that because that;s why I was watering the plants.

Anyway, It took me a few tries and about fifteen minutes to get all the things that where smoking to stop. Fifteen minutes is a lot of stomping. And my sneakers smelled like smoke afterward.

No comments: