Saturday, September 27, 2008

7 = 14

ciabatta
Fourteen loaves in seven hours.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I mean what could possibly be the down side of baking enough bread for one hundred people when you’ve never really baked that kind of bread before or even any type of bread similar?

I did learn some things and you, or at least me and my youngest sister, could see the progression. The loaves were baked two at a time; by the time my sister saw them, some had cooled enough so they could be stacked on each other. I needed to stack them be cause I was running out of cooling racks and counter space.

I said to her “You can see the progression,” and then started to point from pair to pair. She replied “Yeah, I was going to say that that one looked the best,” as she pointed to the last loaf out of the oven.

I like bread.

I’m not certain that you can get the best result from following the recipe, though. I’m not certain how anyone can carefully move a slack piece of risen dough to a peel without degassing it, at least somewhat. Towards the end I would let the dough rise again while it sat on the peel while I had a batch in the oven. But the loaves only took twelve minutes to bake.

In the future, if I need fourteen loaves of bread and have seven peels, I will let the dough rise on the peels.

The last rising takes an hour.

I had hoped for a different end result but even so the bread was delicious.

No comments: