Saturday, December 13, 2008

I kind of like the swooping 'e'


Sophia Likes to Bite

I took my place against the wall as I waited for my train. It was the place that I usually stand at, only this time it was about five hours later. I had just slipped out on a small gathering that some of us at worked had planned. I made my escape as a small group of us made our way to a sliver of a bar next to the restaurant where we all shared dinner.

The lower level of the bar was crowed so we walked upstairs to the lounge which was equally crowded. I was last in line and started to feel a little claustrophobic. I wanted to bid my adieus but felt that would ruin my plan of leaving so I just left.

I was empty handed as I stood against the wall, because I didn't want to be encumbered with carrying stuff around town. I had no iPod, no paperback book, no notebook, so I stood and watched the people. I first noticed them about half way up the platform, a young couple with their young daughter. The parents seemed taller than average, the wife was attractive and the little girl was cute.

I moved a little to my left to maintain everyone's personal space as they stood in the vacant spot next to me, and I briefly worried that he might think that I'm moving away for some other reason than they looked like they liked their privacy.

They were standing mostly quiet until I heard the father say "Sophia, don't bite." I wanted to look but I didn't want to make it any worse for Sophia; the parents looked like they would hold it against her if she were the cause of unwanted attention.

By the time I turned around, he was squatting and face to face with Sophia and he had an urgency in his voice that belayed more anger than instruction. I wondered how hard she could have bitten him, she was no taller than his mid thigh which would have precluded more sensitive areas.

He further added that hitting wasn't allowed either and then her mother instructed that if she wanted her father's attention then she should say: "Daddy, please play with me." The child indicated that she understood, paused a moment and then said "Daddy, would you please play with me." I turned and stifled a laugh; most kids just want to know the rules.

But after that, I didn't notice anything that resembled play.

I sat across and diagonally from them when we got on the train. The girl sat in the middle, after two stops or so, he lightened up a bit. I think tickling was involved which was followed by a hug and a quick smile. I got the impression that it was more out of duty than affection. It was almost like she was his stepchild, a little constant reminder of a mistake his wife had made but he knew it was wrong to hold any anger against the child.

I sat there there and thought about posting this scene and worried that I would forget that her name was Sophia. I repeated "She's Sophia," to myself a couple times but was a little concerned that the Johnny Walker Blue that I had previous to entering the station would kick in further and erase some details so I pulled an ATM receipt from my pocket and wrote: "Sophia." I then worried that I might forget the story so I added: "likes to bite," but writing on a little hand held receipt while on a moving train is not something I have mastered yet. Also, I knew that I would be the only one reading it, so it only had to be a clue as to what I was trying to write. So, I don't know if she likes to bide or not, but I would guess she does.

No comments: