Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I was having a steak and cheese with lettuce and tomato

Few people seemed to care that he was slouched over. He was at a long set of tables in one of the busiest places in a tourist town. At first I thought he was just an old guy that was possibly homeless that had just fallen asleep; then I thought he might be dead.

People were moving all around him, few people paid him any mind. I could only see him when someone shifted in their seat, so I assumed he must have been moving even though I couldn’t see any movement. I was slightly worried that tomorrow I might be reading about how some guy was left, dead, for hours and thousands of people passed him by and how his life might have been saved if only one person did something but then I saw him move.

I then saw him right himself and then lay across three on the short stools and then slowly position his left leg onto the table.

I wondered if his drunkenness was a fairly new turn for him or whether it was old hat. Times are tough.

Eventually security was called. The first to arrive was a skinny young black man, who just walked on over to the guy and jabbed him in the ribs as he told the guy to get up. The old guy was mostly nonresponsive so the security guard tried to hoist him up by his arm. He only managed to slightly spin the guy on the middle stool.

The next to arrive was a security guard that looked a lot like a young John Goodman, only not actually John Goodman when he was young because Goodman wasn’t fat in his younger days. The John Goodman look-alike assisted his partner in getting the guy to his feet. Goodman then quietly explained to the guy that he wasn’t allowed to sleep at the table and that also he couldn’t hang-out in the area while he was intoxicated. Or at least that’s what I thought he was telling him because I couldn’t actually hear what he was saying but I’ve seen this sort of thing before.

The young black security guard still wanted to just haul the guy’s ass on out of there but Goodman was sticking with talking it out. I watched the drunk reach behind into his soiled briefs and tuck then into his falling down pants. He then slowly yanked up his jeans.

I wondered just how freshly soiled his briefs actually were as he reached out for the back of Goodman’s arm before he slightly staggered out the door.

Before the guy even got to the door some young woman and her friend sat right where the drunk was just lying about; she put her plate of food right where the guy's foot had been.

I wondered whose bit of vile I was sitting in.

No comments: