Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Little babies don’t frighten me. Big babies irritate me.

It bothers me a little but…
(something work related)
….


I really don’t care for parties mostly because conversation is not something that I’m good at; I listen and respond. I was there mostly because the owner invited Lady G at the last fund raiser we attended. I probably would have passed on the occasion otherwise. And once I was committed to go I was then instructed to invite my mother.

My mom likes those things and she doesn’t get out much so…

I forget how it happened but I got separated from Lady G; she’s a people person so I usually don’t let her get any further than my elbow, when she’s at my elbow, I merely have to nod. Anyway, someone probably engaged me as we were walking and she went on without me. I grabbed a beer because it made it look like I was relaxing or enjoying myself or at least being a little more social and then went to find my mouthpiece.

I walked into kitchen and found the owner sitting where she usually sits while she’s doing all her business at home, to her right, my mom was standing and to my mom’s right, was Lady G. I must have rolled my eyes a little as they all looked my way as I walked in. I said, “That right there is no good.” I milled about at the other end of the marble topped middle island as they changed whatever subject that had been talking about.





I bought the house an espresso maker. We opened it on the eve and had two cappuccinos apiece. I would have had a third but I had concerns that that would have been excessive. I just want to make espresso drinks all the time now.



At brunch, I ordered the double blueberry pancakes. Lady G leaned over to me and said “But you already ate.” I was at this brunch because when I wasn’t at last year’s, it caused a little bit of a commotion. I hadn’t fretted over missing the previous year because I rather do nothing all day long on Christmas Day, as opposed to getting presentable for the outside world and driving somewhere to eat brunch in a crowded dining establishment. I had told her the previous day that I had two things on my agenda for Christmas Day, one was doing nothing and the other was cooking breakfast. She told me to cook breakfast and that she would call me that day when she found out the time brunch.

What was I to do? Just sit there drinking coffee while everyone else was eating? I certainly wasn’t hungry but I felt it would be rude not to eat. I considered the blueberry pancakes a type of dessert to the breakfast I had already eaten with my family.

I did my best to pace my consumption of the five pancakes with the others around the table with more substantial meals. My pancakes looked like they would be overly sweet, with the blueberry compote spilling over the sides of the top most pancake but that wasn’t the case and the pancakes at the bottom were rather dry. I longed for butter with every bite from the bottom.

There was a month and a half old baby in our group and of course all the females wanted to hold the little tyke. He seemed to refuse to look at the person holding him but would look at the person next or beyond. Lady G was doing her best to get him to look at her and whenever she would turn him so that he would be facing her he would look at me. She finally handed him to me, asking if I knew how to hold a baby.

I cradled him in my left arm so he could get a good look at Lady G. She got him to smile and maybe even laugh but who really knows? At that age babies have trouble doing anything; it’s all a learning process. After a couple minutes she pulled him from my arm as she said, “Don’t get too comfortable with him.”

It takes more than a contented baby to shake my spine of steel.

No comments: