Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It seemed like a good idea at the time

I overheard her say that it was her anniversary. She then added that her boobs were eight years old.



Bread is mostly about timing and without using the freezer there is usually a three day limit on how long things will last with attention. The third day was yesterday, which left me with five starters. Each starter would make at least two loaves of bread. Ten loaves is a lot.

I still don’t know what I was thinking when I made all those starters. Well, I actually do know what I was thinking; I was thinking “Mmmm bread.” Ten loaves was the low end and it turns out that one of the starters was twice as much as I needed, so that got divided into two batches of dough.

I realized that I was going to have way too many bread products while I was building the first starter into dough, so I decided that I would make all the batches of dough and put half in the refrigerator which will buy me some time.

At the end of the day I had three baguettes, three medium size loaves of ciabatta and two one pound loaves of ciabatta. I used two different recipes for the ciabatta; I was experimenting. In the frig, went enough dough for two loaves of Italian bread and eighteen Kaiser rolls, it will be my first try at both of those.

The baguettes were very nice but I probably could have kept them in the oven longer. The crumb was cooked through and the crust crackled but I felt it could have crackled a little bit more. The large loaves of ciabatta were denser than I like but were still good to eat and the smaller loaves of ciabatta were quite good, light and airy.

I had devised a plan on getting rid of some of the bread but the plan involved someone who has already tasted the light and airy loaves of ciabatta so I felt that I couldn’t unload what I felt were inferior loaves on her but I also didn’t want to part with any good loaves but I had too much bread. So, I gave away a baguette and one of the better loaves of ciabatta. What was left at the end of the night included a half of baguette, one large loaf and one small loaf of ciabatta. I always hate wrapping home made, lean dough bread in cling film but I felt that I had no choice.

No comments: