Monday, April 20, 2009

Taking a Photo of Paul Revere Would Be Something a Tourist Would Do

Patriot’s Day. I had never been to the Patriot’s Day Parade in Boston before today. It was always too much out of the way or too much forgotten. I was there today not because I am a patriot but because I wanted to see how things worked.

crowdcityhall

The way things worked was that people gathered at City Hall Plaza. The people were mostly just passing by but stopped for the commotion.

startflag

The commotion was just mostly ROTC members from four different high schools but there was also a marching band, and at least two other groups.

crowd

The crowd was sparse but polite even when the words to the Pledge of Allegiance were forgotten. I felt it fit with the day.

band

start

last



The horses lead the way (which I always thought was a big parade mistake).

The parade ends with an ever so modest reenactment of Paul Revere’s Ride. This year’s Paul Revere asked to speak.

“Hi. I’m Paul Revere. Usually, we’re all very quick but this year I asked if I could say something. Thanks for coming out today. It’s good to see such a crowd. We often think of patriots as Paul Revere and John Hancock but there are patriots with us today. Patriots in the service like…”

I forget the names he mentioned he then called the seventy five or so folks that had gathered, patriots. I did feel a twinge of guilt because it was the first time that I was there and on top of that, I would be getting paid.

When it was over, I had wished that more was done to promote the parade.

When all but the Event Staff were left, I started untying the paper "No Parking" signs and tossing them into my car. It's not my job to take the signs down but I felt that since they were now unneeded that I would open the four blocks of the North End back up to parking.

I was asked four or five times when the parade was going to start.

Before the crowd disappeared, I noticed this young girl. I covertly snapped this photo. I was slightly saddened because I felt that she is not with us in this world; that she isn't present.

look

She seemed old for her size. She seemed old for her age.

I felt her stare was too intense to be called vacant.

Later and down the street, I noticed her again; people would greet her friendly and she seemed to be somewhat aware but I hoped wherever her mind spent most of it's time was better than the littered narrow street that we were both standing on.

No comments: