Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm rather charming

I'm rather charming or so it seems.

People tend to like me.

I worry when my charm doesn't seem to work.

I think that I'm a pretty understanding guy. I would like to say that I'm easy going but I'm too argumentative for that statement to be true. "No, I see your point but I don't agree so let's move on," - that's me. But when I'm trying to help you out and you are making it difficult, I will get a little impatient. I also know: not to kill the messenger.

The young guy that comes in every day as part of his job and has a list of locations that needs permits placed a Dunkin Donuts gift card in front of me and said, "Thanks for all your help." I know that the regular guy, that usually sits at the desk I was at, gets things given to him from time to time. We are allowed to accept gifts from an individual that total under $50.00 for the calendar year. I told the guy, "Thanks."

I like Dunkin Donuts but I don't often go there. I'll go to this small local place or I'll go to the Starbucks that has the barista that I like. When I had a moment and I was sitting back at my own desk, I checked to see how much was loaded on the card. There was $25.

After work, I crossed the street to the other bar that I now go to. I figured that a bartender that I know would be working and the last time I saw her there, she walked in with a tray of large coffee's both hot and iced from Dunkin Donuts.

I handed her the card.

I was sitting with regulars when I noticed someone to the right of me. It was the barista that I like. She's always quick with a smile and has honest eyes. She seems like she's from Middle Eastern descent; she has such the slightest accent.

She asked if the seat next to me was available. I said that it was. We started talking and I could hear over my left shoulder, "It looks like Timmy has a friend." I was going to explain to those folks that I actually knew this person but I just kept my attention on the barista.

She told me that her name was Cece. We started talking about this and that, which included some of the things we talk about when I'm getting things at Starbucks and some other things that you usually don't get involved with talking about at Starbucks.

"It seems like you've lost your hat," I said. There was a time that I had never seen her without her Starbucks hat and because I am a charmer and wanted her to know that I have been paying attention, I mentioned it.

"Yeah, the manager has been away so we've all been doing some things like not wearing hats or not covering tattoos," she said as she pointed to the tattoos on her left arm.

"So, are you going to remember my name tomorrow?" she asked.

"No. Tomorrow I'll probably have to ask you what it is again." I lied.

No comments: