Saturday, January 01, 2011

Mostly Myth


A lot of my life has passed over this 8GB flashdrive, there is still a lot sitting on it at the moment.

...

Last Thursday, I ended up staying late at the day job, when I knew I was going to be staying late, I called the second job to see if I would be needed.

"Hey, it's Tim. Do you need me later?"

"Well, I was hoping to get the floor plans to the guy from Peter Street so that the guy doing the construction permits for him can mark them up."

"When did you say, you would get them to him?"

"You don't want to do them tonight?"

"I can do them but when did you tell him they would be ready?"

"I told him A.S.A.P."

"And when does he think that is?"

I heard the hesitation of thinking so I added, "I just want to know what I'm working with. I don't want to know so that I can say that you are mean or anything. I'm not working tomorrow so I could do them then but I need to know when you said they would be ready."

"I only told him A.S.A.P.."

"Fine. I'll be there."

I didn't go directly there, I walked across and down the street to Dunkin Donuts to get two gift certificates. I then reversed my direction and took a right by McDonald's and down three bars and walked in.

Katelyn was the waitress. She came in early because the bartender was going to get slammed with customers before Katelyn was actually scheduled to be working. I had been there for lunch and I passed her on her way in as I was on my way out at 3PM.

The place was crowded. I made my way to my set of regulars which was right by the waitress' station. Katelyn was standing right there.

"Here you go," I said as I handed her a Dunkin Donuts gift card. "Thanks for coming in early." The bar manager looked over from where he was leaning on the bar.

"What's this?" She said looking at it.

"It's for you because you made Amanda happy."

"So all I have to go is make her happy and I get gifts?"

"Yup"

Then I stepped closer to the bar and tossed the other to Amanda, "And this is so you don't get jealous."

"Sheesh, Tim. You're making the rest of us look bad," Bob said.

I just smiled and then bought all the regulars that I knew a round but I only stayed for one.

I took the bus to the second job and had a discussion about the plans. The measurements that I had were incomplete so it was decided that I would remeasure the third floor and measure the first and second as well. Parking sucks in Boston because 10 inches of snow just does that sort of thing. I borrowed the owner's Cadillac and drove the seven blocks but had to park five blocks away. I should have just walked.

I ended up driving home to get my computer, a flashlight and a tape measure. I drove back to the office and then had her drive me to the property. After I had the three floors drawn in AutoCAD. I walked the seven blocks back to the office, made PDF's of the files and then copied them to the server. I then walked to her house to get her SUV to drive myself home.

I was at home and checking emails at a little past 1:00AM.

I stayed late at the day job because some nationals from Morocco where waiting on some paperwork that gets issued from my desk. I was waiting on the folks that would have to handle the issue to get back to me. I had been working on it for a week and half. I finally got enough of an answer to put my ass and my signature on the line a half hour after my normal work day ended.

The balance of my workday was spent answering questions that the bosses usually have to deal with but none of them were around.

My actions on that day reminded me of someone I used to know, someone folks say that I used to be, but I still think that guy is mostly myth.

No comments: