Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Greatness lives next door

"You'd do it right? Because you would charge."

"Well, yeah but I don't make pages that you can interact with. I can't do a complete site."

"Like what?"

"Like on your site when you hit the contact page and it opens up that little form window. To do a full site, you don't only need to know HTML, writing the page, but you need someone that knows Java and some who knows some other programming. And very rarely are they all the same guy."

"Yeah, on my site they had a Flash guy, and a programming guy…"

"And probably someone to design the page. If I quit my jobs. I could probably learn enough of each but I, much like today, I wouldn't be great at anything; I wouldn't be very good, I would only be just good at each."

She then said something that let me know that she thinks the things I do are great.

I have thought of doing design work on the side and I've even asked myself about doing it full time but I really don't have a deep passion for it. Not that I have a deep passion for much of anything but I think design and art in general has to come from the heart. Most of my stuff comes from my head.

My design work is an expensive hobby.

I just sat quiet. It was that or argue with her that my stuff isn't great. She sees only the stuff that I know. I see all the stuff that I don't.

No comments: