Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Huh? I forget

I was reading pax in her dear person post

I remember it was cool because it wasn’t cool.

It wasn’t a vapid soul’s conduit for fame.

I remember when comments were not the ‘norm.’

I remember writing into the vacuum.

I remember when writers would just write and readers were not required, they were not even in the equation.

I remember when posts got posted because an empty bottle and an ocean within throwing distance weren’t available.

It was cool because you could see real unadulterated bits of soul sometimes violently scattered about in a style consistent with a murderous explosion or sometimes like a slightly bruised heart which was caused by someone not keeping all their walls up; someone took a chance and posted the failed results.

I see some popular sites like Waiter Rant or stuff white people like with over two hundred comments on a post and I wonder: Who the heck thinks that they have something else to comment on regarding this post? Did you even read all the comments?

The most comments I have ever read on one post topped out at twenty and that was only because a discussion had started up.

I remember (too) when we only commented when we actually had something to say and maybe not even then because we all knew that the author was writing for herself or himself. If you would send it in an email then you might comment.

I remember when emoticons weren’t expected, they were quietly reviled.

I remember when your comment had to be worthy of the interruption.

I remember when a post would not just be forced out just to change what was displayed above the fold. I remember when ‘above the fold’ was just a newspaper term.

I remember when I would write and not just vomit something up.

No comments: