Saturday, March 15, 2008

It was nothing or I at least I think it was nothing; I forget

Some people like them. I'm not some people. I don't mind them too much but I just don't care for pressing the flesh.

The invite was extended to me with the caveat that Annette might like to go. I replied: "I'll ask her," which came after a slight delay because I then knew I was going. Annette called me the following morning and I let her know that we were invited to the fundraiser and before I could finish my sentence she was saying that she wanted to go.

She couldn't get out of work early so we showed up almost an hour after it started which I didn't mind because that meant one less hour of talking to folks that I would most likely not want to talk to.

I'm used to being behind the curtain. I'm part of the machine that makes certain things are in place. I normally don't mingle but technically Annette was my quest so she needed my elbow and so far in my life wherever my elbow ends up the rest of me usually isn't too far off.

She's a people person. Her social skills are impressive. I usually stand near and just watch. She had me take a few photos of her with a few important people, every time she would ask if I wanted to be in them even though every time I had said no.

She would look around as she sipped her Chardonnay and ask who was who and what was what. We caused a little bit of a buzz, partly because I usually don't go to events, partly because I usually don't wear proper business type clothes and partly because she was the only one there of something other than European descent.

I caught Maryann pointing at me while telling something to an attractive blonde, I was motioned to come over. I missed who she was during the introduction.

"The invitations looked great," the blonde said.

"Thanks."

"Maryann's always saying how you do all these great things."

"Some of them might even be true," I said as I turned to Maryann.

"They're all true."

"I hope you know how much she appreciates you."

I thought about mentioning that sometimes I don't know the level of appreciation, that if I were truly appreciated that I would get paid more frequently or not be forced to work through as many nights as I have in the past but instead I just lowered my gaze. I couldn't think of an appropriate and truthful reply.

"Well, she does."

I was thinking that it would be great if she actually told me that when the subject gratefully changed as someone else joined the conversation.

I met a few old friends who would start telling stories to others around about being in the midst of chaos and then I would show up and ask a few questions and then solve all the problems. The stories where less than accurate but my friends always seem to enjoy telling them and I'm not one to ruin a good story. I would lean over once and a while and whisper "It wasn't that hard," or "It wasn't that easy," into Annette's ear whenever it wasn't rude to do so.

Often people will ask if I remember how I saved their day. I'll often respond that I don't.

It was just a day in my life, not unlike most other days. Most of my days are forgettable to me anyway. I did what I could and then did the next forgotten thing.

But, hey I'm glad I could help.

No comments: