Monday, September 19, 2005

I was riding the shopping cart to my truck like I always do when I'm alone and I noticed her watching me. She was a slight older woman walking with a limp, when I reached the bed of my truck she called to me.

"I'm not crazy or nothing..." I think she also explained she wasn't a rapist which wasn't really a worry of mine but...

She wanted a ride to her house or to a location that was close to her house which was about a quarter mile away. She was obviously in pain.

My shopping cart was mostly fully.

"I don't think I will have room for you with all this stuff" I explained as a motioned to the cart. She walked off to try someone else.

I ended up putting my eggs at risk while I packed my plastic shopping bags behind both seats. There ended up being room so I looked for where she was and noticed she was walking back towards me. I drove her to her door in a mixed income housing development. She told me a tale of woe of how her daughter wasn't around like she was supposed to be, how she couldn't get medicine without a prescription, how she was suffering from two sources of pain, how she was alone.

I didn't say much. I was just a chauffeur.

No comments: