Sunday, September 18, 2005

So, I went in early because I wanted to leave early and also because I was hoping people would have some information for me.

I found no info but no worries because that means an easy day, I finished all the pressing stuff and I started thumbing through some of my clipart collections, I was looking for a leaf.

I was looking for a leaf for an invite for an upcoming fall event and while I was looking I heard someone call my name. She was peeking into my second floor office from the stairs in such a way that only her head was showing at the bottom of the doorway.

"Tim?"

"Yup"

"I hate to bother you but I smell smoke…" that's is usually enough to pique my interest and to garner my attention but she continued "…and I asked the owner's nanny and she said she smelled smoke too…" she went on as I was traversed the stairs. I was wondering how much convincing she thought I was going to need.

I went to the basement and was greeted with a hovering layer of thin white-gray smoke. Whatever had caused the smoke had since stopped smoking.

There isn't much in the basement to cause smoke: the HVAC system, a water heat, a dehumidifier, the phone system, the network hub (I suppose). The smell was like a motor burned out which narrowed the choices. I opened the HVAC unit and felt the blower fan. I thought –Bingo.

All the while the original smoke smeller stayed on the stairs. I checked the other equipment and nothing else seemed wrong.

"I'm glad you were here, fire worries me. Thanks"

I am still amazed at how apologetic she was for disturbing me.

You can bother me with concerns of the building burning down anytime.

No comments: