Thursday, August 23, 2007

the company you keep

I was surprised to see her at her desk, her back must be feeling better. She told me that "The second deposit should be going in tomorrow." I hadn't a clue of what she was talking about so I just nodded. I asked what was the deal with Kevin. She said that she would have to call him tomorrow; that's when something died a bit inside me.

She had told me that she was going to call him on Wednesday and here it was Thursday. Kevin called me on Monday as a courtesy. I relayed his message to the owner. He wants to do the company a favor but he needs to hear from the owner.

I dropped my eyes to continue to gather my files. It's not my company. I really shouldn't care. I said "He needs a check by Friday," which made it the third time in four days and then turned and walked upstairs to my office.

Thursday still would leave us time to overnight a check; Friday would be too late. It's too late.

It's not my company. I really shouldn't care. I wonder what keeps my here.

No comments: