Saturday, August 18, 2007

That image makes me laugh (almost)


Most of the seats were filled; I had my choice of two: one next to the Jager machine and the other between two regulars. I chose the Jager machine. Unfortunately, the guy to the right would not shut up and he smelled of body odor.

The guy dropped every name in a fifty miles radius from a quarter of a century ago. I just wanted him to shut his mouth but I always try to be polite. I didn't know it at the time but he was a local celebrity has-been. He would occasionally leave his stool to talk to other patrons.

"Hey, do you think she's Indian or Pakistani?" he asked chin pointing to an attractive woman with a cocoa brown skin. I was doing my best not to engage him in conversation and I thought it was an impolite question so I answered "I don't know the difference." He left his stool and approached the woman and asked which she was. She got a little indignant as she informed him that she was Indian, he then pointed to me and said "Then he just lost a bet."

I smiled, my smile, the one that all my friends know, that means polite Timmy has just left the building. Still with a smile and loud enough for everyone involved to hear I said "Dude, you just threw the wrong person under the bus."

He sat back down next to me and asked "Hey, what's up with the plastic cups" after the lady left him standing there.

There is this thing I do when I'm irritated at someone who is talking to me and that thing is I will completely stop looking at the person and focus on an imaginary point about eight inches from them. I turned a little towards his voice and looked at something that wasn't there and calmly said "I'm not telling you anything. You just threw me under the bus. You just put yourself on my bad list."

"Timmy you have a bad list?" the bartender asked with a bit of excitement.

"Oh, yes and Bob is on it."

"I didn't know you had a bad list."

"Oh, yeah. It's short but it exists."

"Timmy, is that you that smells?" the other bartender asked which knocked me out of the hardass mode I was in. I nearly laughed at her expertly asked question. What was Mr. Smelly going to do, complain to the manager that she was being rude to me? The bartenders always have my back.

Bob just sat quiet for the rest of his beer. He wished us all well as he left and then we all had a good laugh at his expense.

Later, I googled his name and remembered some news stories about him and also read that he was nominated for Boston's Most Annoying Person.

No comments: