Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Missed.

He was never politically active, he would usually vote but I don’t think he donated time or money to any political cause. He got involved with the election because I was involved, we had worked some charity events together. We were friends. He had skills that I didn’t have and the cause was in need of those skills. Most of all he could be trusted. He was self employed at the time which meant his schedule was flexible.

We won the primary, so it was down to two candidates. There were many giving what they could spare of their time, and then there were about a dozen of us going full out, on average, the days were 18 to 20 hours long, maybe even longer towards the end. Most of us only went home to shower and change clothes as well as catch any moments of sleep we could, there would be days we wouldn’t make it home at all.

He was there because I asked him to be. He worked at least as hard as the rest of us, sometimes even harder. His reward, his would be no reward, he would refuse any government job offered him, if one would be offered. He gave more time and effort than he should have, he lost clients and couldn’t get any new ones because his time was spent on the election. He became irreplaceable and he knew it and I believe that is what caused him the most trouble. His sense of loyalty forbade him to quit.

We didn’t win the election. In this town once you lose one you have pretty much lost them all. There would be no rematch.

We don’t talk or hang out like we had in the past. His friendship with me cost him a lot. He survived, mostly but it seems a piece of him died. I still do my little charitable events but I don’t ask him to help anymore. I’ve taken too much from him already.



No comments: