Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Please get my message...

 
"The bank would not accept that check for the apartment deposit. The best I could tell is because it was dated for September 16" I said.
 
"For September?"
 
"Yeah, September. I have it upstairs. I'll get it if you want?"
 
"September?"
 
"Yeah. September's the ninth. Isn't it?" I went to get the check. "Here, you go"
 
"September. Why did she do that? Can we just change the date?"
 
"I cannot change the date but if the date gets changed and I don't know anything about it. I won't say anything"
 
"So, its alright if I change the date?"
 
There are clients sitting right in the office. I'm trying to be a little bit discrete.
 
"I disavow any knowledge of any date changing" I stepped outside to check my voicemail because I have trouble getting a signal in the office. I return and I'm handed a check dated July something. The seven is big and thick, like it used to be a nine.
 
Thank you. 
 
I do my best to be honest, even with the silly little things. I'll change the date on a check if I have permission from the person who wrote the check and no one else. But, if you want to go changing the date on a check, go ahead just don't do it in front of me.
 
I don't write checks for myself either even though I can.

No comments: