Thursday, September 28, 2006

• • •

I overheard him telling his tale of woe. He said that we did "Like thirty streets..." Thirty seems like a high estimate, my list is right by my side, so I count and finish with nineteen.

...

I was back to my normal routine so I was able to go to lunch in a place of my own choosing. I knew D² was working the day shift so I walked down to see her. I ordered the Caesar Salad with Blackened Chicken.

She set the large plate in front of me.

"Do you want any fresh ground pepper?" Pepper on a salad that already has blackened chicken might seem excessive but that didn't stop me.

"Yeah, but I didn't want to bother you."

"You're no bother," she said as she fetched the wooden pepper mill and started cranking, after a few turns she asked, "Do you want some more or a little less?"

"Yeah, I'd like a little less," I said with a smile.

"That really wasn't an option, Timmy."

"I know. I just wanted to hear what your reply was going to be."

No comments: