Tuesday, September 19, 2006

There is a lost post somewhere…

So, anyway my head hurts right behind my right ear, I've picked up an ache in the elbow and my temperature seems to be rising. I wonder if it’s because I ate lunch somewhere new. So, I'm sitting here calculating how much time I have left before things get bad. But then there is still the problem of tomorrow. I've started a project that will last for a few days and people are counting on me to tell them what goes where. I can't be ill.

The rising temperature is my biggest worry.

I was in the field all day which often isn't a bad thing but I still hadn't finished other things in the office and I due to be in the field for quite a few more days. I think I have things worked out though.

I've never called in sick.

So, my supervisor is back in the office fretting about things he doesn't need to fret about. I think he needs to blow off steam and even though I can drive the company car right home, I stop off to see him. We walked down the street and had two beers each, he had the pints, I had the ten ounce ones. He helped himself to the free buffet, I asked about how the bartender's day was going. She's one of the newer ones, she rarely sees my friends and I together so she doesn't get to overhear our conversations, so she sometimes has nothing to talk to us about.

The total bill came to eight bucks by our calculations and my supervisor said "I've got this one," and he had a ten in his hand. I threw up a five on top of his ten.

"I'm not leaving that much of a tip," he stated as he tossed my five back at me. "She doesn't talk to you," was his justification.

I looked at what I had in my pocket: two twenty's, a five, and two one's. I wished I had three ones and then wished we were on separate tabs. I tossed the two on top of his ten.

"That's too much."

I thought about explaining that in situations such as this you cannot leave a tip that is based on percentages, that five dollars isn't too much especially when one of us had visited the free buffet and more so when most places serving beer in the area are charging a lot more than a buck fifty for a draft. Instead of explaining, I tossed my two bucks in front of him. He took them.

Cheap prick. I'll buy my own beers next time, and I think you're going to be on your own.

The bartender said her day was dreadfully slow, by the way.

No comments: