Thursday, September 14, 2006

my last name really isn't Green so please don't go bothering him

I answered the phone by simply saying the name of the place that gives me a paycheck. It's not the most professional way to answer a phone but I'm a busy guy and I don't need to waste valuable seconds with niceties. I answered by boss's phone in kind.

"Hi, My name's Phil Hamerstein and I was given your number..."

I let him talk partly because he wouldn't take a noticeable breath and mostly I was not a fan of his assuming ways, until I felt guilty.

"I'm Timothy Green," I interrupted. My revelation caused him to finally pause.

"Oh, I thought you were Richard Malone."

"This is his line, I was just picking up his phone. Hold on."

Who just assumes that the person answering a business phone is indeed the person they wished to talk to?


...

I truly like them all and even though I call one my favorite, they all know who my favorite really is but they seldom call me on it.

"Are you disappointed that D² isn't here?" the one I sometimes call my favorite said.

"J°, I love you all"

I was, actually, a little disappointed even though I knew D² most likely wasn't going to be there. She had run down her schedule for me six days prior and even though she had been working Friday days for the past four months, she had only mentioned evening shifts.

...

So, a friend from another department dropped by my desk and it so happens that today is the first day on the job for a boss that will be overseeing both of our departments. We started talking about the new boss and others joined our conversation.

"And I hear he's going to be walking around so I've been told to look busy" an assistant to my director said.

My friend had actually come down to talk business with a co-worker of mine and once he finished his business, he poked his head back into my cube and said "I'm going to go 'look' busy."

...

So, the intros were made.

"This here is Timothy Green. Any crazy initiatives I come up with I give them to Tim which drives him crazy and he may rolls his eyes at me but he always gets it done."

"So, any crazy ideas I get I know where to bring them."

"Yeah, I put the craziness on paper."

No comments: