Saturday, September 30, 2006

a little pussy

He was in the conference room; I thought he was alone but then I heard the husky whisper. I tried to make out the words or at least identify the voice but I couldn't and then there was a squeak and the whisper changed from some private secret to some dude using a magic marker.

...

I was stuck in that time at the end of the work day when it's too late to start something new but too early to head for the door so I cut a piece of paper into a square and started folding an origami cat.

I think I had agreed at one point in time to fold one for her. She likes cats and that's the reason I know how to fold an origami cat. I folded with precision; I was using vellum and any false fold would stand out as a bright white line on the field of pale gray that vellum appears.

I finished the tail as the last workday minute ticked and slid the paper cat into my shirt pocket. I started my usual route over brick, then granite, then brick again but then I stopped and turned around and got on with my real life.

No comments: