Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I scored a table for two in the corner, took off my jacket and laid it across the length, leaving enough room for my coffee cup and then stuck my runny nose into a magazine that I had just picked up from Borders.

I made my way through the letter from the editor and the first article that interested me when I noticed some guy walking around like my privacy was in jeopardy. He started lowering his ass and I couldn't tell if it was to the bench next to the empty seat at my table or on the empty seat.

I moved my gaze from my magazine to my just jostled coffee cup as he settled onto the stool; but the coffee didn't spill so I figured no harm no foul but then he shook the table again.

He said "Sorry for being rude." I just gave my politest most irritated nod as I thought "How about just not being rude?" He then told me that he had just met John McCain and that it was incredible. I turned a magazine page.

"Did you get to see him?"

"No. I was at work."

"I got out of work early. I told him a joke but he heard it already. Do you want to hear it?"

"Nope."

"Okay, then I'll leave you alone."

"Thanks."

He was true to his word and somehow he managed not to bump the table as he left two minutes later.

No comments: