Sunday, February 03, 2008

How can I make my male coworkers realize that leaving the toliet seat up is inappropriate?


Q: I work in an area that's far from the men's and women's bathrooms in the main part of the building. All we have is a unisex bathroom in our area, and certain males are forever leaving the toilet seat up. How can I get them to realize that this is inappropriate?
L.E., Manchester, N.H.

A: Anyone who's sat on the toilet rim because the seat was left up knows how unpleasant that can be. The trick is to encourage the men to continue putting the seat up while at the same time getting them to start putting it down when they're finished. The best approach is to gently let them know about the issue. Consider starting with a sign above the toilet that says, "Please remember to put the seat down when you're done. Thank you." A next step would be to bring the issue up at the next department or team meeting.


You know, or maybe you don't but I'm a guy and I always put the seat down and if I saw a note that requested that I put the seat back down, I would seriously consider replacing it with a note that said "Please leave the seat up." After all it's in the woman's best interest to leave the seat up because that limits the chance that there will be piss on it because men are lazy and if they are required to put the seat back down, they just might leave it down to begin with.

And I don't buy the argument of some poor hapless woman being most unpleasantly surprised by sitting on the bare rim of a toilet. I know it can and does happen but open your eyes. If you're using a non-private toilet you should be looking where you're sitting, there are a whole host of other problems that you can encounter besides the seat being up.

Men should have equal toilet rights. How many men use that unisex toilet as opposed to women? Per use are there more standers than sitters? I think majority should rule.

This is why I piss in the sink.

No comments: