Saturday, January 17, 2009

it's actually a magic oven but I don't want it stolen so I say that it's a regular oven

“Do I look fatter?” she asked as I sat down. I looked down to her waist and answered “No. Should you?” She then told me that she should because of all the bread she ate. I had forgotten that I hadn't seen her since.

“Kerry asked if you baked it yourself in a regular oven. You just have a regular oven, right?”

“Yeah, it’s just a regular oven. But I use a baking tile and I do some other things, to get crisp crust and stuff.” I felt a little embarrassed as I was going to explain the finer points of baking breads in a conventional oven but I realized that that wasn’t the question she wanted answered. “But it’s just a normal oven,” I said more to myself than to JM.

It’s actually a convection/conventional oven which I’ve equipped with baking tiles and a cast iron skillet that sits on the floor of the oven, into which I toss some ice right before I close oven containing the shaped and risen dough. I also use a spray bottle for moistening the dough and creating even more steam then just the cast iron skillet. It’s a bit of a process.

I also have half sheet pans and Silpat baking mats, special wicker baskets, a covered vessel made of clay, forming pans and a few other things. Not to mention a bunch of books purchased in the last four months.

I’ve probably dropped three hundred bucks or more on everything, although I did have a few items prior to his latest baking fit.

No comments: