Monday, October 11, 2004

And you thought the opossum story sucked...

Saturday I got a call from one of the agents, she needed someone to check smoke detectors in a condo to make certain they would pass inspection. I didn’t want to help but if she was calling me she had most likely exhausted all her other options. I told her I would do it if she couldn’t get anyone else. She couldn’t get anyone else.

So today, I stopped by the office to get the keys to the vacant unit and got a few comments from the folks there that they were surprised to see me. I try to avoid the ‘crowds’ because they usually say stupid things but this was unavoidable. The keys I wanted weren’t to be found so I called a couple of cell phones and got voice mail both times. I left messages for both the most likely guilty party and the agent who asked for my help.

I was told that the most likely guilty party would be back soon but that she was already running 45 minutes late from returning from lunch. I said I’ve left a message and that I wasn’t waiting to which I was assured that the most likely guilty party would return soon. I paused and looked at the person offering reassurance, she’s kinda new, thought about telling her that I’ve been around since the start and that I know that what she is saying isn’t likely true. But, instead of saying all of that I just said “See ya.”

I went home and mowed the lawn, finally. As I was hosing off the mower, like I always do, I got a phone call, it was from the most likely guilty party. She was guilty. She said that she had been riding her horse for the past three hours and that she left her cell phone at home. I asked her to drop the needed keys on my desk and hoped that the person who tried to offer me reassurance would see her showing up two hours after I left. Two hours isn’t soon for those of you keeping score.

A couple hours after that I got a second call, it was from the agent who asked for my help. She said she had left her cell phone at home and just got back. I told her I should be all set.

I just wondering why these folks don’t carry their cell phones with them, at least leave them in the car. I carry mine every where, isn’t that the point of a cell phone. Sometimes I shut the ringer off or leave it in the car but it’s never truly far.

It turns out that the smoke detectors will most likely pass inspection as long as the inspector isn’t a jerk. Their placement isn’t ideal but they would be effective if needed. And they all make loud noises when the lighted button is pushed.

I was told I could charge whatever I wanted for the help and that it would be billed to the owner, I was told this like I’m here for the money. If I were here for the money, I would charge a fair market hourly rate instead of the flat rate I currently charge. If I were here for the money, I would be using my Real Estate Salesperson’s License which I just remembered I need to renew.

No comments: