Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Start some more

She and me haven’t been in the office together in over three years.

She’s the owner, I just helped build the place.

The place started out of her kitchen, today she’s in a corner brick townhouse with twelve desks, two conference rooms, and four private offices. One private office is mine.

My office is upstairs, hers is downstairs. I came in late, I’m trying to take it easy. I’m trying to shake a cold.

I gave a wave as I walked in, she was on the phone, just like in the days gone by. I had learned to wait due to her phone use. She stays on the phone for quite some time, sometimes.

She didn’t stay long after I got here, it was late for her. She came upstairs and asked how I was. “Okay, I guess” was the answer she received. She asked if there was anything she could do, I looked around there was nothing, I just smiled as she said “No, I guess.” We’re like some old married couple, we know each others moves.

“I turned down the heat. I hope you don’t mind” she said as she left. I’m glad someone is looking after the heat because I thought I was the only one that cared. And as of late I have been tired of harping on the other workers. I’ve been tired of being everybody’s mom.

I wouldn’t know a lot of the things I know today if I had never met her. There would have been no reason to know, there would have been no motivation to learn.

She lets me write my own ticket and always gets my back if there is a dispute between me and anyone else.

We’ve changed parts of this world for the better, and tried to change even larger parts in vain.

Some noble and possibly foolhardy deed is coming because they always do with her. I’ve slowed my quests in these days of late, I could do with a new one.

It was good to see her at her desk.

No comments: