Thursday, October 28, 2004

Soul free

For some unknown reason today a bought a mandolin online. It should be here in two to five days.

I’m taking tomorrow off for no good reason other than to use up a personal day.

We surprised one of our buddies with a birthday cake at lunch today, he really couldn’t believe it. I found out that single malt scotch goes well with cake. Or, at least that is what I was told.

I don’t know how to play any stringed instrument.

Flut a phone
Recorder
Kazoo(?) you’re supposed to hum into a kazoo
One song played very slowly on the piano (doesn't a piano have strings?)

All forgotten except the damn kazoo. Because how do you forget to hum?

I don’t think I’m artistic at all, although some of the stuff I do has been mistaken for artistic.

I’m good at assembling stuff from scratch, text onto a page, wood into things.

There is no soul in what I do.

When forced to write poetry I could get things to rhyme, to have the proper cadence but nothing came from within. Can you truly force poetry? Is the end result poetry if what you write is only because you were assigned to write verse?

When playing music, I could hit the proper notes but there was no heart behind them.

I cannot draw freehand either but give me a straight edge and a triangle and I can draw spot on.

Mechanical drawing is what it was called in high school.

Very mechanical drawing

So this mandolin, I’ll learn the chords and then store it away and then forget.

Better yet, if I know me, I’ll learn the chords, buy a better mandolin then store it away with this cheap mandolin and then forget.

No comments: