Friday, April 01, 2005

I'm a sucker

I sit by the large scale plotter at the first job, so crap gets printed right outside my cube.

I usually try to keep an eye out for what crap does get printed because somehow I'm in charge of ink and paper and making sure the plotter works.

Today someone starts printing this photo three feet wide by four and a half feet long. I know who is doing it, I know what job it is for, I'm not really interesting in either talking to the doer or talking about what he's doing so I make like I'm concentrating on my work.

The dude comes by to pick up his huge picture and he's dilly-dallying about which means he wants to talk. I stare at my computer screen and actually start this post in MicroSoft Word.

Like I'm writing some business letter.

Then I hear him sigh. Still I stare at my monitor, but I think I'm going to crack so, I make like I'm going to the men's room but on the way I happen to glace at what he has and he catches me.

Busted.

And I knew the job. I didn't have to look. If he was having problems enough to sigh about them, they were all his own.

So, he took the opportunity to engage me and I got the whole rundown of the job that I already knew about in addition to the new overhead photos he has access to which I already knew about.

Sometimes, my nose is too big for my own good.

I escaped when someone else was dragged into the discussion.

No comments: