Thursday, April 14, 2005

the way the phone call went (my version)

"Hello"

"Hi, Tim?"

"Yup"

"Are you planning on being in tonight?"

"I wasn't planning on it but if someone needs something I can come by."

"Oh, okay. I guess it can what"

"What is it?"

"Well, the client called today looking for his check but if you're not coming in he can wait"

"I can come in if you want."

"Naw, I wouldn't worry about it. I think he's going away next week so he wanted his check but it's only for three thousand dollars, I don't know why he needs it"

and she's dead serious when she says that then she adds

"Well, if you have time maybe you can do it"

"Leave the file, I get to it if I can" I said even though I knew I was going to make the time.

so, I was there writing the check for the client and as long as this check is in our possession the file is considered open and I only write commission checks on closed files but I hear the agent in question downstairs and I know the owner is down there as well, so I can possibly close this file out then and there.

The agent is speaking with the owner so I tell the owner I need her to sign the check so it can get given to the client and if the agent promises to give it to the client I can write the commission checks and close this file out. The owner looks a little confused, I assume it's because usually we don't give money back to clients, so I explain the uncommon deal and add that the client has already called for the check.

The agent interjects "That's why I had Timmy come in" to which I just grin my Cheshire cat like grin and the owner gives a surprised look, a look that conveys a message of "Oh really?" So, the agent adds "If he had time" because the owner knows I don't let the agents tell me anything. I work for the owner not for the agents. I let it go because the agent is trying to make herself seem more capable than she really is and I was letting her have her day.

so, the check gets signed and I explain to the agent that if she takes responsibility for the delivery of the check I can write her commission check and I ask if she needs any information in the file to get the check delivered or could I keep the file.

She seemed not to understand and I wasn't certain what was causing her confusion because we're dealing with standard office procedure so I say "I'm not going to deliver this check but once it gets delivered I can pay you. Do you need an address or a phone number from this file so you can deliver it?" My words where met with a blank stare which I met with a look of bewilderment so the owner stepped in and asked "How are you getting that check to the client?" to which the agent said "I'm dropping by his place of business"

Which is great for me because now I can close out the file, I just need to know what the special split that she worked out with another agent in the office, so I ask what's the split? and she says "I don't know yet I have to talk to the other agent" which surprised me because she had previously left a note that said to call her so she could tell me the split.

I just tossed the file back in the open file bin.

At least the client will get his check before the weekend.

No comments: