Monday, June 05, 2006

I said I would be there. I was going to save the day. I had a high sense of urgency. I wasn't going to screw around.

But then I got the phone call. I made certain that there was a mean to an end if someone chose to take it but they felt inconvenienced that they would have to use one computer over another. There was actually two computers they could use but none of them fancied her. She wanted to use the one that she used before. She still didn't seem to realize that the damn thing was broken. I figured if someone could be so particular then things really weren't that pressing.

"When are you going to work?"

"I don't know yet. I figure if"

"What about the presentation?"

"It'll get done. It's just that if I go in sober I won't say anything but if I go in drunk something will be said"

"Is that a good thing?"

"I think the truth should be told."

"Is she any relation to the owner?"

"No."

"Who's been there longer?"

"I've been there for twenty years. Part of the problem is that she thinks she knows more about computer than me."

She smiled a patronizing smile and asked "Is that even possible?"

I just shrugged my shoulders. It is possible that many people know more about computers than I do but just not her.

"And the owner likes you?" she asked

"Other employees have called me the golden child."

No comments: