Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I was staring into the second refrigerator at the second half of a package of ground beef. The first half had already been grilled and consumed in the form of hamburgers. This second half had started to change its color to that brownish gray. I had been busier than expected and had mostly forgotten about my plans for cooking.

My cell phone rang.

"Hey! What's ya doing?" Lady G asked.

"Ah...nothing."

"You're always doing nothing."

"I always say I'm doing nothing so that you won't not ask me for things." I slightly cringed that I even thought that sentence up never mind actually spoke it but then my mind was not too focused on the conversation but rather the beef about to turn.

"Well then I need a million dollars and a new fur and new Gucci shoes."

I offered no reply; I merely made a mental note.

"What I really need is my screen back up."

"The one on the door?" I asked

"Yeah, it fell off again. Are you at work?"

"No. I just came from there though."

"What did you do?"

"Updated the webpage and did some bookkeeping."

"Did you get a raise yetDid you give yourself a raise?"

"No."

"Why?

"Because there is no money."

"There is money for other people"

"Not really."

"So, you're not doing anything" she said after a pause.

"Well I'm thinking about cooking something before it goes bad."

"Okay. Well if you get a chance, I need that screen up because the bugs are getting us."

I closed the door to the frig, which I really should have closed early. "Alright, I head over right now."

"Thank you, baby."

I drove over to her house, let myself in and put the screen back in; this time I noticed that one of the wheels was broken. It would work but it was probably the reason it keeps popping off its track.

I drove back home. It was eight thirty. I took the ground beef out, all the while debating how much I wanted to handle it or rather how much I didn't want to handle it. I decided on hamburgers because they would be easier to reheat.

So if you noticed some donkey grilling burgers at close to nine o'clock at night with one of those halogen construction site work lights piercing the dead of night, it was me.

No comments: