Thursday, April 05, 2007

The owner was quite pleased with the hits we've been getting off of the sign and she mentioned that it has produced two clients.

Two may not sound like a significant amount but right now all we're selling is air and a promise, so two over three days is good.

"I think you definitely went the right way with that sign," I said.

"No, you definitely went the right way with the sign."

I smiled a little because I did fight for the design. Her, the developer and the bank all wanted a piece of the sign and that was too much so I cut them all out and worked around the domain name. When I was arguing my case I even pulled out a book on design that had a section on billboards, "It's not just my opinion. You've got to keep it simple so people will remember."

"Everyone likes the sign and Sue loves her ad. We should use that to show what we can do for individual properties," she continued.

"Sue called me and was a little worried that we were using pictures from a different property."

"After she called you she said 'That Tim, he's rather direct.'"

I smiled at that too. Sue surprised me with a new ad request and didn't give me all the information I wanted but I produced a killer ad anyway; an ad so good that I was pleased with it, right then and there. When she called the next day, she started questioning the copy I used. I asked her "What does the ad say?" and she started reading the ad to me. I interrupted her with, "Which is what you gave me." Which wasn't exactly true, I changed the order of some words, left out "Call for all the details" and changed the name of the neighborhood to a specific section of that neighborhood but for the most part it was what she gave me.

I get a bit curt when people give me straw and I spin it into gold and then those people wonder about the outcome.

She concluded that we could make any desired changes in the next running of the ad.

No comments: