Tuesday, July 17, 2007

So.

Little g is back home safe.

For the third time in ten days I drove the 187 mile round trip from Boston to Northfield, Massachusetts. This time I got to drive my truck. The other two times I was in a borrowed Rav4. There was something I didn't like about the little SUV that I really couldn't put my finger one despite sitting in it for nine or more hours until I was driving my sister's Jeep. The steering wheel was too small. I couldn't comfortably rest my elbow on the window while holding the wheel and the alternative of resting my elbow in my lap while holding the bottom of it didn't work either. The small steering wheel forces you to hold it without your arm resting on anything, which isn't a big deal for short commutes but for longer trips it's a pain in the ass.

I wasn't supposed to make this last trip according to Lady G. She wasn't going to ask me because she felt it was too much of a thing to ask; three trips is one too many I guess.

It was a great day for a drive. It was a better day for the beach or a picnic. I managed to quickly wash the outside and clean up the inside to a point which the truck hasn't seen in years. It impressed one passenger and actually made me feel better.

We drove to the dorm she was staying at to find it totally cleaned out when we were met by one of the councilors. She told us Little g was waiting at the Main House.

When we got to the Main House, Little g was resting against her luggage on the near perfect grass, she was with the three remaining staff members and one other camper. I smiled a little because at least we weren't the last to show up.

Lady G did her usual friendly banter. I lowered the tailgate and pushed the large piece of luggage towards the front of the truck bed. My normal routine is to smile and nod and toss in an occasional "Well, you know...".

On the way back Lady G watched a DVD on her laptop and Little g took a nap stretched out on the back seats. I occupied my time by maintaining a speed of nine miles over the limit.

No comments: